For the last six months the Stevenage Football Club Foundation has seen eight new recruits join the team as Foundation Community Football Coaching Degree students…
The eight individuals have enrolled onto the Foundation’s Community Football Coaching and Development Foundation Degree in partnership with the University of South Wales and EFL Trust.
With a variety of backgrounds, the young coaches have joined the Foundation on a two year programme, with the option to top up to a full degree, that sees them take part in online lectures in the unique setting of The Lamex Stadium whilst blending this learning with coaching hours across a number of the Foundation’s programmes.
Let us introduce you to our first year students…
- Date of Birth: 31/12/1999
- From: Stevenage
- Previous Study: Hitchin College – Level 3 Sports Science Diploma
- Previous Coaching: Coached at college and some summer camps for college.
- Why they joined the course: Experience of coaching and also wanted to gain knowledge through Stevenage FC
- Date of Birth: 19/03/2000
- From: Bishops Stortford
- Previous Study: Level BTEC Sport D*D*
- Previous Coaching: Coached soccer in America for a summer programme
- Why they joined the course: Gain experience and a qualification at the same time
- Date of Birth: 26/07/2001
- From: Sandy
- Previous Study: EDP course with Stevenage FC & completed a Level 3 Sports Diploma & achieved D* x 3
- Previous Coaching: 4 years, FA Level 2 qualified. Coach for Jack Wilshire’s NCF Elites & Mid Beds Tigers U13s
- Why they joined the course: Want to improve myself as a coach. This is so I can then pass my knowledge on to kids I teach so they can progress within sport & become better people as they develop & grow up
- Date of Birth: 16/03/2001
- From: Stevenage
- Previous Study: Apprenticeship at Stevenage Football Club Foundation for 2 years. Gained Level 3 in Supporting the Delivery of PE & School Sport
- Previous Coaching: 2.5yrs with Stevenage Football Club Foundation as an apprentice. Coached a grassroots U15s team
- Why they joined the course: To further my knowledge in other aspects of football & sport, as well as being able to gain more experience in coaching whilst studying
- Date of Birth: 25/04/2000
- From: Stevenage
- Previous Study: Oaklands College, Level 3 Sports Coaching & Fitness
- Previous Coaching: 3 years in a variety of settings including as a sessional coach for the Foundation
- Why they joined the course: Wanted to further my knowledge in coaching whilst gaining a degree
- Date of Birth: 07/11/2000
- From: Hertford
- Previous Study: Oaklands College, Level 3 Coaching & Development
- Previous Coaching: 1 year
- Why they joined the course: Wanted to improve my coaching skills & help me lead to having a job within coaching
- Date of Birth: 12/09/99
- From: Bishop Stortford
- Previous Study: Level 3 BTEC in Sports – DDM
- Previous Coaching: Coach at Cambridge Utd & one year apprenticeship at Stevenage FC Foundation
- Why they joined the course: To further my coaching knowledge before going out into the real world and gaining a job
- Date of Birth: 31/05/2001
- From: Harlow
- Previous Study: Former Stevenage EDP player and student gaining a Level 3 Sports Diploma
- Previous Coaching: 2 years at Ruggerbuggs, coached with the Foundation for 6 months
- Why they joined the course: Extend my knowledge in sports and football coaching and to get experience in coaching
Foundation CEO, Joe Goude highlighted the importance of the Foundation Degree to the charity, “We have been working on launching the FND programme for a couple of years and we’re delighted to have such a great first year cohort. This degree now gives us a five year pathway for our apprenticeship programme as well as providing opportunities for any young person that has an aspiration to work in the football industry to take that first step in a fantastic setting.
“Our aim is to continue to recruit year on year to build a network of high quality young coaches, with a whole host of knowledge ranging from project and event management, sports development, physical education, school sport and more”.
The Foundation’s Education Mentor, Lucy Burdin added, “The progress that our 8 students have already made since September has been great. They are contributing to a number of Foundation programmes and utilising the knowledge they are gaining from the degree in a real world working environment”.
If you would like to know more about how you could be a part of the Foundation Degree, an opening day for prospective students and parents will take place at The Lamex Stadium on Saturday 28th March from 12:15pm, ahead of the Stevenage FC v Scunthorpe FC match. Everyone that attends the open day will be given a free ticket to the match.
To book a place or find out more please email firstname.lastname@example.org alternatively, visit this page – CLICK HERE.