Would you like to make a difference in your local community? Are you passionate about people and given them opportunities to positively impact their lives?
Stevenage FC Foundation have partnered with Herts Sports Partnership (HSP) to offer free activity camps to school-aged children, with an aim to tackle the inequalities of holiday hunger, social isolation, physical inactivity, and educational attainment experienced by children from low-income families during the school holidays as part of the Fit, Fed & Read (FFR) project.
Camps will provide the opportunity for children to take part in a variety of sports, arts, and enrichment activities. Alongside HSP, our partners on the program include Hertfordshire Libraries, Herts Fire & Rescue Service, and Herts Constabulary. The fourth partner, Herts Catering Limited provides the children with a hot meal each day.
What Are We Looking For?
We are actively recruiting sports coaches, teachers, arts & crafts, and people who have experience & enjoy working with children & young people. Each day of camps offers children sports and physical activity, enrichment (soft starts, themed arts and crafts, outdoor activities and games), and lunch.
- Job Title: Fit, Fed & Read Camp Leader / Camp Assistant / Camp Activator
- Reports To: Community Engagement Officer
- Salary: Weekly Rates – Camp Leader: £400 / Camp Assistant: £300 / Camp Activator: £180 – £252
You must have:
- A passion for working with children and young people.
- Evidence of ability to plan engaging and inclusive activities for a diverse range of ages and abilities.
- An ability to build rapport with children and young people is derived from a professional and trusting relationship.
- Hold a First Aid Qualification (you must be able to show a valid certificate from the last 3 years or agree to complete the course prior to starting work)
- Hold a minimum level 1 Safeguarding qualification & enhanced DBS certificate. (you must be able to show a valid certificate from the last 3 years or agree to complete the course prior to starting work)).
- A willingness to liaise with parents, delivering high-quality customer service. Ability to independently travel to and from camp locations.
- A proactive team player who can work collaboratively with other delivery staff members to deliver high-quality provisions and activities.
- An ability to communicate effectively with the Line manager, project staff, and other key partners.
- A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all children and young people.
- Possess a basic understanding of the statutory health and safety requirements expected of a coach/ teacher/ camp leader or similar role.
- GCSE Maths and English
- Possess a qualification in one of the following fields:
- Primary or Secondary teaching or equivalent experience
- Sports Coaching (minimum NGB Level 2) or equivalent
- Physical Education
- SEND Teaching Qualification or equivalent experience
- Experience working with children with special needs or learning difficulties.
- Hold a specialist skill that could be shared with your colleagues, or the children attending camp, such as Performing Arts, Singing, Sport, Art, Design, Magic, etc…
- Experience working or volunteering with 8–11-year-olds in the last two years.
- Experience in supporting children with challenging behaviors. Full driving license and access to a vehicle.
- Experience coaching a sport, leading games, or delivering activities.
- Experience in leading arts and crafts-based activities
- Experience working with different people in a team environment.
- Hold a valid food hygiene qualification and/or food handling qualification
- Previous experience in relation to delivering, managing, or coordinating after-school activities or holiday camps.
Before any delivery commences, you will be expected to read literature on all our policies and procedures, hold a safeguarding and first aid qualification (opportunity to achieve these will be offered), and attend any mandatory training sessions – these training sessions will be online and in person.
There will also be opportunities to attend further CPD courses free of charge.
Our camps run in the following locations:
- Broxbourne – Waltham Cross
- East Herts – Sele (Hertford)
- North Herts – Jackmans (Letchworth)
- Stevenage – Bedwell
- Welwyn Hatfield – Peartree (Welwyn Garden City)
Monday to Thursday, 9:30am to 3:30pm (Camp runs from 10am to 3pm)
Future Fit, Fed & Read camps will run during all school holiday periods – Summer, Easter, Christmas, and Half-Terms. Our aim is to retain our hired staff members through these future camp phases, so there is potential for work at other times of the year as well.
As a member of our delivery team, you will be responsible for the day-to-day delivery of the program; leading and supporting fun, engaging, and inclusive activities, as well as ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the children and young people attending. Taking control and making decisions depending on what role you’ve applied for.
Before any delivery commences, you will be expected to read literature on all our policies and procedures, hold a safeguarding and first aid qualification (opportunity to achieve these will be offered), and attend any mandatory training sessions – these training sessions will be online and in-person.
As part of your involvement with Stevenage FC Foundation the following benefits are available to staff:
- Stevenage FC and/or project specific staff kit provided relevant to the role
- Access to bespoke CPD from our partners including Herts Sports Partnership, Premier League, English Football League Trust, The FA, PFA and other key partners
- In-house Employee Assistance Programme – including monthly mental health support
How To Apply
- Complete an Online Application – CLICK HERE
- Download a Job Pack – CLICK HERE
- Send a copy of your CV to the Team – CLICK HERE
If you have any questions about the Sessional Coach role, then please email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org